|Brand||THAI HEALTH PROMOTION FOUNDATION|
|Product / Service||THAIHEALTH|
|Category||A08. Charities, Public Health & Safety, Public Awareness Messages|
|Entrant||BBDO BANGKOK, THAILAND|
|Idea Creation||BBDO BANGKOK, THAILAND|
|Suthisak Sucharittanonta||BBDO Bangkok||Chief Creative Officer|
|Kasemparn Jujindalert||Meour Production Co., Ltd||Director|
|Anuwat Nitipanont||BBDO Bangkok||Executive Creative Director|
|Pitha Udomkanjananan||BBDO Bangkok||Associate Creative Director|
|Nattagorn Thairattanasuwan||BBDO Bangkok||Art Director|
|Manamai Rodpetch||BBDO Bangkok||Copywriter|
|Vasanai Pakapongpan||BBDO Bangkok||Client Service Director|
|Tanyawan Wongapichart||BBDO Bangkok||Account Director|
|Udomluck Sornkarn||-||Production Producer|
Since unhealthy eating behaviours are hard to change, we decided to tackle how Thais eat their food. In cooperation with Thai Health Promotion Foundation, we created “AbsorbPlate,” the world’s first innovative design that makes Thai food less greasy and allow Thais to eat each meal healthier. Hundreds of tiny holes, inspired by the texture of sponge, make AbsorbPlate able to separate excess oil from food before people eat it. The plate can reduce up to 7 ml of grease or approximately 30 calories per plate. The plates were designed to be easy to wash. In order to eat healthier, all they need to do is just continue their regular eating behaviour on our plate.
We launched AbsorbPlate as an innovation and implemented it as an activation campaign. More than 10,000 AbsorbPlate were distributed nationwide to where Thai people have their meals every day. The activation took place at local restaurants, universities, schools, office buildings and food courts. Each plate that was given is still in use and working to reduce calories from meals, cumulatively reducing more than 1,000,000 calories every day since launched.
-More than 10,000 plates were distributed to hundreds of Thai restaurants across the country. -AbsorbPlate are being used in more than 30,000 meals daily. -AbsorbPlate are reducing more than 1,000,000 calories per day, daily. - Thailand’s obesity growth rate decreased by 9% comparing to the same period last year. - Most importantly, Thai people can enjoy their regular meals in a healthier way.
AbsorbPlate fits into this category because it tackles directly on the meal moments of Thai people and provides them with a measurable healthy-eating solution to help them eat each meal instantly healthier, resulting in a 9% decrease in Thailand’s obesity growth.
The target was defined as people who consume their meals out of home, they do not cook their own meals and consume what’s delicious but not necessarily healthy in restaurants daily. Research shows that unhealthy eating behaviours are hard to change: most Thai people go for what’s delicious and less than 10% of Thais can follow through with their healthy-eating program, the other 90% could not go through with it. So, the strategy was to tackle the food itself and make each meal healthier without requiring our target to change their behaviour. The campaign was applied in touch-points where our target have their meals every day nationwide, which are the local restaurants, and restaurants in universities, schools, offices, and food courts.